Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, October 17, 2011

Needs

A friend mentioned to me the other day, that he heard a pastor say of Steve Jobs to a congregation that 'he knew what we needed before we did'.

I don't know about you, but that kinda makes me squeamish, and it's that kind of rhetoric I'm getting a bit jack of hearing about.

Very clever guy, great inventor. But he's looking a bit shaky when you put him up on a pedestal.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Same. "Live as if it's your last day on earth" was mentioned at my church last night. That could mean anything. Sit in the Lindt cafe all day eating brownie sundaes.

onlinesoph said...

haha...um I'm pretty sure it was my pastor who said that (and it wasn't to his congregation, it was an offhand fb remark).

Knowing him (he's not a sycophant at all, really I promise! And he hasn't mentioned Steve once at church), I don't think he meant to put Steve up on a pedestal, but rather say that his inventions seemed to intuitively understand what the average consumer wants in technology - namely ease of use, aesthetic appeal, something which helps you do life better. And you gotta admit that Apple hit that brief just right.

But I totally agree with you, that it's a bit creepy, all the fuss being made around SJ. He is just a man, after all!

Ben McLaughlin said...

Jess- heh, good plan

Soph- sorry, sounds like I took it a bit out of context then. I guess you're right with what you say about Apple. I think I just have this thing where when people rave non stop about something or someone my instinct is to be anti it.

Still, I'll be very glad when the hype is over.

onlinesoph said...

me too. You should read my post on being an iLuddite!