Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Haunted By Geography

I have a fair few recurring dreams. Some are good, like that cool one where I flap my arms frantically like a chicken, and slowly rise into the air, filling all on-lookers with amazement and awe. And some are bad, like that one where I'm about to play a gig, am up on stage, guitar in hand, drawing breath to start singing.. when I realise I haven't learned any songs. Oh.

Then there's the weird insidious ones that are just always there, just in subconscious territory, creating a weird tense sort of feeling of unease, even when I'm awake, like deep down I believe they are actually real, I just haven't accepted the fact yet.

Enter the Geography Dream. At the start of the year, year 12 I think, Mr Talbot has told us, the Geography class, that there is this massive assignment. We need to really plan for this one, and put a lot of time into it. It'll take about a year.The rest of our entire schooling is worth like, 4% of our tertiary thingo score, but this King of All Assignments is worth the remaining 96%. He's not going to mention it again, but we are to keep all this in mind. Anyway, time passes. I don't work on King Assignment at all. It never gets mentioned again. I do my HSC. Still no mention. I get my results and head of to uni. Still no mention.

But King Assignment hangs over me like, ummm... let's see.. like the Sword of Damocles, or something literary like that. I awake, but the dream remains. My shoulders are never quite relaxed. I can never breathe quite deeply enough, there's always a bit of tension that lingers. I'm never quite sure what it is.

I get on with my life. I marry, and work and make some children. I get wider and greyer. But always waiting. waiting to eventually be found out and to have it all just unravel. One day Mr Talbot will arrive at the door, flanked with armed, burly officers of The Law. And they'll take me away. Everything has been a scam and a facade, and now I must pay.

Because I never did that King of All Assignments for Geography.


No comments: