Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Favourite Paintings #3- Evening...


'Evening, when the quiet east flushes faintly at the sun's last look' (1888) by Tom ROBERTS

I imagine that if I were overseas, this is the kind of picture that would make me homesick for Australia. Living in busy Sydney, obviously I don't see this kind of pastoral scenery every day, but there is something so familiar about this that stirs my soul.

Lonely dusk in the Australian countryside, the sound of roosting birds in the Eucalypts, the fading hum of invisible cicadas, the smell of smoke from a farmhouse chimney.

I love the serene stillness of this painting, the only movement being the slow drifting smoke, and a lone bird wheeling in from the left. The fading sun is behind and to the right of the viewer, casting a soothing reddish glow over everything, and the moon in the east is starting to become visible as night falls.

I want to trudge through the long grass and make my way between the log piles, and over to the distant farmhouse, and sit down with the family for dinner.

No comments: