Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Don't You Hate It When..

..you accidentally slip into somebody elses accent?

The girl who makes my coffee is a Kiwi, and this morning she goes, 'it's gitting prutty hot, Bin.'

And then without even thinking I go, 'it sure uz'.

I momentarily lost control of my own dialect. How concerning. I then had to concentrate very hard to make sure I walked out of the cafe like an Australian, without inadvertently slipping in to the Haka.

Life is hard when you're so impressionable.

8 comments:

RodeoClown said...

I got stuck in a dodgy British accent on our honeymoon... for like two days.

I seriously couldn't shake it either, it was really, really weird.

Ben McLaughlin said...

sounds bleedin awful, guvna

Alistair Bain said...

I had a pretty good 2nd generation Australian/Italian accent going when living in the inner west of Sydney. Some dude in a greengrocer in Enfield was convinced I was from Calabria.

Pedro said...

makes your coffee from what?

Ben McLaughlin said...

Enfield? That's where I used to live. Was that the grocer behind Flower Power?

ps- you're NOT from Calabria?

Wendy said...

When we first moved overseas we spent more than a month in an orientation course run by a Swiss-German couple. I remember the voice in my head, as I read silently, sounding very Swiss-German and not being able to shake it for a while.

Alistair Bain said...

Ben. Indeed it was.

We were in Croydon Park for 3 years and used to spend lots of summer afternoons either having coffee at FP or at the Enfield Pool.

Laetitia :-) said...

I naturally pick up other people's accents. I always worry that the people (from somewhere else) whom I'm with will think I'm making fun of them.