Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Augenblick

The colour-patches of vision part, shift, and reform as I move through space in time. The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of colour patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated. Living is moving; time is a live creek bearing changing lights. As I move, or as the world moves around me, the fullness of what I see shatters. This second of shattering is an augenblick, a particular configuration, a slant of light shot in the open eye.

Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

3 comments:

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben McLaughlin said...

that's weird.. I didn't delete that comment, it just vanished!

Ali said...

The ghost of your blog strikes again ... Actually it was me. The writer of a comment can delete their own comment. Just thought it was a little dumb! I was going to tell you in an email and keep it a mystery from the world, but I can't find a way to email you from your blog. And I can't comment or access blogs at work, which is most frustrating! (But I wasn't at work yesterday.)