Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, June 20, 2008

Book Group- Getting Underway

Well I'm excited that some people are interested in the book group idea. That's awesome. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The shortlist looks like this-

Crime and Punishment- Dostoevsky
The Brothers Karamasov- Dostoevsky
Gulliver's Travels- Jonathan Swift
Frankenstein- Mary Shelley
Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte
Life Together- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Practicing His Presence- Brother Lawrence
Poems of Wilfred Owen

The Wind In The Willows- Kenneth Graham
Alice In Wonderland- Lewis Carroll
Boots In The Bedroom- Alison Kelly (thanks Simone)


I thought that it might be difficult to come to a consensus for the first book to read, so I thought I would make a decision to get the ball rolling. The winner is....(drum roll).. Crime and Punishment, by our good friend Fyodor Dostoevsky.


Now, don't think I can't hear your collective groans. I know it is going to be tough going, but think about the satisfaction we will have, to be able to say "I have read Crime and Punishment!" I know it's a thick book, but that's mostly because of the long Russian names. If you replaced those names with "Joe" or "Mike" or something, the book would only be about forty pages long (I checked).


So how it will work, is that I will wait a week, to give everyone (including me) time to get a hold of the book, and then the first reading week will start from next weekend. (When I get the book I will see how long the chapters are and set 'the homework'). I'll then write a post after a week to discuss it.

Sound okay?

12 comments:

lu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lu said...

sounds good to me. i've never been in a book group before. looking forward to it.

thanks ben!

soph said...

what have I gotten myself in for!?

Okay, will try to get a copy from the library..

Simone R. said...

I don't think Alison Kelly has even been in such good company!

Cheers.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Lu- Awesome, glad to have a book group comrade in the States!

Sophg- the answer to your question is 'a world of pain'! But think of it this way- if you hate it you can jump ship and no one will ever know:) Glad you are on board until then..

Simone-.. and never will be again:)

Christopher said...

Be encouraged. Saying that you have read Crime and Punishment can turn your life around.
Before I read it I was a lowly boy who could handle little more than a magazine. After reading C&P I started to grow facial hair, I met my wife, got a job, and won the respect and admiration from friends and foes.
Good luck and enjoy.
p.s.
Hi Ben.

onlinesoph said...

will do. Wow - my life is about to change...does this mean I will read the Australian and watch SBS instead of Carson's How To Look Good Naked?

onlinesoph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali said...

Yes, I shall endeavour to find one - or perhaps there is one lurking amongst "those" classics on my shelf that I have yet to read. You know, I think this is the book about which it is said, "if you are near the edge of insanity, it might just push you over" (or maybe I have my doss-meister's mixed up). So, I will be relying on the rest of you to keep me away from the edge!

Ben McLaughlin said...

Hi Chris-- Wow, someone who has been to everest and lived to tell the tale! I am looking forward to my life being chnged, and finally becoming a man. Also keen for admiration from my foes.

Soph--if this means I can no longer watch Carson, then I may have to rethink the whole thing. That has been my favourite show the last few weeks.

Ali-- I'll build the safety railing myself:)

Anonymous said...

I think I might have to be in.

Colinmac said...

Hey Ben you have forgotten to include Pride & Prejudice and other the other classics by the same author on your list. Must have been an oversight