Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Left To Your Own Devices

What would you do with your day if you could leave work right NOW for the day, or leave whatever you are doing right NOW, and just go and do what you wanted? The one rule is that your left to your own devices, so you can't go and hang out with other people.

I would turn off my computer,leave work and catch a bus back into the city. I would do a trawl through JB-HI FI and the comic shops, then look through the art books in Kinokuniya. By this time I would be hungry, and would catch a bus to Glebe, where I would find a cafe that did an all day big brekky. I would order bacon, eggs, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages and toast, and a big flat white, and then slowly eat, while reading the books and comics I just bought.


I would then go to Broadway and see a really scary and awesome horror movie, maybe a double feature. Then I would get a late dinner on my way home, some take away Thai chicken green curry and rice, and eat it in front of the 2005 Grand final, Tigers vs. Cowboys, with a beer and a cigar. Good times.

You?

10 comments:

Pedro said...

These little interactive posts you throw in every so often rock brethra! It opens the window to a little bit of escape for all of us...tops!

Today. There is a new South swell building but the tide is high so...Ride my awesome motorbike home and packa bag, throw on my wetsuit and jump on my pushy, grab my quad fish and cycle down to Curly (IT catches the south swell the best) and leave my bike and bag locked up in surf club, I have had brekky so i would paddle out into, what can only be described as the nicest conditions of the year and surf until I get hungry..Hop out of the water and walk fifty metres up the beach and order a delicious Bacon and Egg roll (with Tomato relish) and nice long black and I too would sit outside the cafe, eat, read the paper and keep an eye out for dolphins in the midday sun...
make my way home (walking the pushy 'cause eating affects my balance!) and rinse off and watch a ridiculous romantic comedy (that my wife won't even watch!!) laying on the couch in front of my big screen tv...Late afternoon..trot down for another surf (swells building remember?...) and surf till dark. Come home to a delicious Chicken and vegie soup (home made) and watch crap, mindless tv , falling asleep on the couch...exhausted but satisfied.....


But thats just today. Who knows what would tickle my fancy tomorrow?..

Ben McLaughlin said...

"But that's just today"--who are you kidding cobber? One thing I know about you,is that what you love today, you'll love 50 yrs from now. Your day sounds tops. Very summery and relaxing. Even though it is a hypothetical day, I hope you get in some of that big swell action. I can't believe I just said 'big swell action'.

Nixter said...

I would totally go home and sleep, this pregnancy thing has me tired!

Ben McLaughlin said...

Hi Nixter! I recently heard the awesome news-- congrats! Hope you get thru the day alright

trish said...

You drink wine with your big breakfast? or perhaps your hypotheticals were blending into one.

I think I'd go and sit in a cafe, and sip on my piccolo whilst reading the SMH cover to cover. Love that. And with all this talk of all day breakky, I'm feeling fairly tempted by that as well. So why not, I'll have one of those too.

Ben McLaughlin said...

where'd you get red wine from Trish??:)

Yeah, I love a nice slow read of a paper too.. By the way, what's a piccolo?

trish said...

"big flat white"...lol, I made that out to be wine. But where did *you* get 'red' from?

A piccolo is my coffee...small latte. I don't like milky coffee.

Ben McLaughlin said...

ouch.. you touche'd my touche!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh... nice imagery Ben! There are many things I would like to do in a day....but I think it would have to start with a breakfast of steaming bowl of rice with bit of kimchi and miso soup. If it rains, I'll stay indoors with my favourite book and bit of music; if it is sunny then it is yamcha and museum strolls to the city :-)

AY

Ben McLaughlin said...

Sounds nice AY-- I have never had rice for breakfast, I should try it some time.