Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wuthering Heights

I gave E a DVD boxset of BBC Bronte movies for her birthday, and we have been working our way through Wuthering Heights. It's kind of a funny old version-- it was made in 1978 and very much looks like it was made in 1978-- cheap special effects, low production values etc. But it is growing on me, and there is something likable about it. At several hours, it is definitely thorough, and true to the book.

As you might know, I am not the biggest period drama fan, particularly of the Jane Austen persuasion (ha!), but I don't mind the Brontes, they are a different kettle of fish. They have dark elements, and Gothic elements, and so are not really that far removed from the kind of Gothic horror movies I like. Here's a clip-- worth watching just to see Heathcliff's bizarre mullet hair at the 3:20 mark.

I have to say though, those characters really give me the poops. Both Cathy and Heathcliff are miserable old sods, who do nothing but complain and whinge about how they can't be together. It was your decision, you turkeys. And the way they carry on. If they get upset they chuck tanty's and bang their heads against things like two year olds, or suddenly become fatally ill for no apparent reason. Toughen up, you two.

Incidentally, on our first date-that-wasn't-a-date (I thought it was a date, but was apparently wrong), E and I organised to each bring our favourite book for the other to read. She lent me Wuthering Heights, and I lent her Cloudstreet by Tim Winton.

No comments: