Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Women Are Funny

Don't get me wrong, I know why you do it. Maybe it's a long walk to work, and your heels give you blisters. Or maybe you are popping into the gym before work.

But come on, ladies. Is this the only option? Is there no more discreet way to blend work and play?

The hair and make up is all done with painstaking precision. Black skirt, black designer coat, black stockings, and then, oh what do we have here? Boofy white tennis socks and massive, sparkly white sneakers.

Now don't get up in arms. I can sense you getting all militant on me. I am not criticising you. Think of it more as a loving rebuke. It's not that I don't like this look, I really actually do. It makes me very happy whenever I see it, and it fills me with a deep sense of joy.

But just to put it out there, could there maybe be a better alternative? A black sneaker? Maybe some tracksuit pants to make a less jarring transition between foot and torso? Find some more sensible shoes so you don't have to destroy your feet with with heels?

But, you will do what you will do, won't you.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I would never leave the house like that and shame on those women who do! It is so wrong I don't know where to begin.

But can your fashion sense be that great if you're suggesting wearing tracksuit pants out in public? Pot, Kettle. :-)

onlinesoph said...

me neither! But I do feel for working women. It is very hard to fit in exercise when you work. Re. the heels, some workplaces require you to look spiffy (when I go to interviews, I have to dress up) but high shoes absolutely kill on the walk to the station!

I have taken to choosing a few days out of the week to take my lunch time walk, and wearing black pants and flat black ballet flats on that day. Good enough for a 40 minute power walk around the block and not painful for the eyes!

Though painful for the nose if you forget the deoderant...

Ben McLaughlin said...

Bonnie, don't get me wrong, I am not setting myself up as having fashion sense, and I would agree that trackie dacks are not for public viewing. However, I suggest them merely as a blending tool, like a visual segway, alleviating the jarring clash between top and bottom. A means to an end.

Soph, yes I too feel for the working woman. But I can't help but being baffled by the overly fastidious care on maintaining appearance with the top half, while completely and utterly forsaking the clown shoes. Mystery of mysteries.