Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bit of a Blow

How's this for a headline?

So, seven people are very sick after eating the reproductive nether-regions of a poisonous fish. Call me unfeeling, but I don't have a lot of sympathy. You are very sick and that is sad, and I really hope you get better soon. But, come on.

I'm feeling a bit peckish. Hmm, lets see.. Maybe a nice ham and cheese toasted sandwich.. No, I know! Poisonous fish groin.

I'll admit that I may be a little narrow minded about what people eat in other countries, and that there are probably a lot of things I would like if I gave them a go. But look, some things are just off limits, and it's simple common sense. Nothing to do with culture, or narrowmindedness, just plain common sense.

This thing is 100 times more poisonous than cyanide. It can kill you in an hour. And you're not even going for a nice side fillet or something, you're taking what should only be seen by the fish himself, and maybe his wife.

Okay, let's just say that if prepared correctly, and cooked by a master chef, these little numbers are delicious, and won't kill you. Let's just say. Well, answer me this-- how did you come to discover this? What part of 'poisonous' and 'fish testicles' led you to this experimental fry-up?

Regardless of what our answer is, I think you really need to repent.

2 comments:

Giraffe Pen said...

In Korea they eat live octopus, which can actually be lethal for the eater if the tentacles get stuck to your teeth. The key is to keep the 'pus moving around in the mouth so the suckers don't cling.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Well that's a clever idea. I'd like to meet the genius who thought of that one. I hear loaded guns are quite appetising as well.