Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Shed

We spent the last week down in Kangaroo Valley. It was an awesome time away, the best holiday I've had in ages. The place we stayed was called The Shed, and until we got there I kind of thought this was a clever self-deprecating name. But when we arrived we realised, nope- it definitely was a shed!

After our initial shock, we really warmed to the place. Inside it was a lot less shed-like, and was very roomy and open. I actually really liked that it wasn't a fancy place. It felt nice and simple and sparse, and gave me the opportunity to just unwind and enjoy the surroundings.

The place was way out in the sticks, up a mountain and along a rough, winding dirt track. There was a beautiful sense of solitude and quietness, which was really what I was longing for. This was the view from the back veranda-

And here it was at dusk-

What struck me was that every sunset was so different, and so uniquely beautiful. Nothing ever looked the same; the clouds, the shadows they cast over the mountains. And even though there was that sense of quietness, there was always so many sounds; beautiful bird calls, and humming bees, and the distant sound of creatures moving through the bush. It made me feel so content and happy, and I was really sad to leave that quietness.

No comments: