Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Friend

So I've got this friend.

He's on the kitchen roster team for Wednesday at his workplace. This means he, along with a few others from various departments on the floor, is responsible for keeping the kitchen clean and packing/unpacking the dishwasher that day.

This is a foul job, as the office is filled with numbnuts who have their Mummies to clean up after them at home. Plates are messily strewn everywhere. Teabags on the floor. Corn kernels and lumps of old tuna in the sink. Honey on the bench. Splattered left-overs in the microwave.

Now my friend does not fulfill his duty very often. But before you are harsh and judgemental of him, let me explain his well thought out reasoning. He has a very live-off-the-land, naturalistic view of the work kitchen. If he uses a plate, he immediately hand-washes it, dries it, and puts it away. If he uses the bench, he wipes it afterwards. He doesn't use the dishwasher. He is a mere will-o-the-wisp, leaving not a trace on the environs on which he treads.

So, what my friend wants to know, is whether he is justified in this. Must he conform to a society that leaves tuna in the sink? Can he make himself exempt by disassociating himself? Or is he bound by some crap moral code which panders to monkeys who can't tidy up after themselves?

2 comments:

SamR said...

Is this the same kind of 'friend' for whom you might ask questions in question time at church? :)

'My 'friend' is struggling with xyz...'?

Ben McLaughlin said...

ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

ps- my friend is thoroughly offended at the accusation.