Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Another Book Group? Are You Insane?

Call me a glutton for punishment, but I was daydreaming this morning about another Book Group on my blog. I know, you are rolling your eyes and slowly moving away from your computers already. I'm okay with that.

For those who weren't around for the heady days of Book Group's I and II, here's a run down of what happened:

*I had an awesome brainwave to have a book group, and a consensus was reached to read 'Crime and Punishment'. Punishment indeed. Anyways, it started off good, lots of participators and good discussions, but it all got too hard. Looooong chapters, tight deadlines, painful main characters. Soon the readership dropped from about 735 to 2. Bad stats, y'all.

*At a later date, having not learned my lesson I proposed BG II. This time 'we' read 'Life Together'. I say 'we' in the third person, because, well, I was the one person on board.

But you know, that was okay. It got me to finally read a Christian book cover to cover, which was an unprecedented occurrence. And committing to write about a chapter each week got me to think through some good stuff. So, all pain and heartache and the torment of cruel rejection aside, in hindsight it was worth it.

SO!

To cut a long story even longer, I was skimming through Ecclesiastes this morning and was thinking what a dope book it is. Not dope meaning bad, but dope meaning good. I thought, hey, 'we' can read a chapter a week and I'll post about it. Hush, hush, don't say anything. I'm just putting it out there. Don't worry, I don't look down on you- we all have our commitment issues.

Just give it some thought.

7 comments:

ALaird said...

WEll in that case you just must listen to these four talks on the book -

http://shop.kcc.org.au/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1672

They'll set you back about $8 but you won't be disappointed. They were only preached at Easter this year, but I'm already onto my 4th listen they're that good.

SophG, I know you're out there - back me up on this one:)

Nathan said...

I'm in.

Ben McLaughlin said...

thanks Lairdy- I'll try and check them out.

Good on ya, Nath, me trusty comrade.

Elizabeth M said...

I was just about to say listen to the KCC talks - but Lairdy has beat me to it.
Do it.

Stuart Heath said...

I, too, got the link to post for the KCC talks. Check out all the Kirk crushes :P

Anonymous said...

I want to go back in time and read life together with you. I got halfway through and realised I wasn't actually reading it, and haven't bothered since.

Drew said...

But you can... over on the side in the archives.

Check for the Kirk crush.