Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Speech Diary: Hurdles

The other night at the speech group thing I went to, somebody made the comment that a stutterers' biggest hurdle is the other person. That is, how well I speak is heavily swayed by the patience/impatience, understanding/lack of understanding of the listener.

I disagree. While this is all very true, I think the biggest hurdle is actually the amount I care about the other persons' reaction. That's the hurdle, being so swayed emotionally by the person in front of me.

This is a better hurdle though, because the problem is back in my hands, where I can at least work on it. If the problem is somebody else, then I am helpless. I can't change how people react, no matter how much I'd love to. But something that can be worked on is using the techniques I've learnt, regardless of what's happening in front of me.

That's the hurdle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make a very valid point. I daresay those relational hurdles are everywhere... but putting the focus back on yourself and working on it seems like a lesson that we should all adhere to. An encouraging post, Ben.

AY

goldy said...

Ben I've often wondered...is it annoying if someone jumps in and helps you out with what you are trying to say? It might seem to lessen the awkwardness of the situation, but maybe it's completely infuriating.

Ben McLaughlin said...

thanks AY

thanks for asking, Goldy. In general I'd say I don't really like people jumping in.

I know people just want to help, but it sort of has the opposite effect a lot of the time.

With the techniques I've learned, putiing them into practice is about stopping when I stutter, and starting again, slower and smoother. If I sense someone's about to jump in, it's very difficult to stop and slow down, my instinct is to just push harder to try and get it out before I get interrupted.

Does that make sense? Thanks heaps for asking, I really appreciate that.

goldy said...

Yep that makes sense!