Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Jamie Oliver, And Goat Butchering

I've been really enjoying Jamie Oliver's new show about America. Last nights episode about Native American food was really interesting.

There was a scene where a goat was butchered, and cut up for meat, and while it was pretty full-on viewing, there was also something that I found very appealing about it. There was so much appreciation for the goat, and a quiet sort of respect given to it, as it was dying in order to feed all these people.

I reckon one of the worst things about modern living is the detachment we have from all these processes. All the dirty jobs are done by someone else, and we lose all connection and appreciation for the animal that we are eating. It's just another product on a shelf. I don't reckon it was meant to be that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's true. If I had to kill my own meat I don't think there would be so much leftovers and food wastage.

AY