Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Two Great Talks

I have been listening through the free Tim Keller talks that have recently been made available on the Redeemer site. It has been great.

Two talks in particular have made a massive impression on me, so I thought I'd share the links.

This short one on Adoration is really fantastic, and has helped me get to the bottom of where and why I continually go wrong. Keller says that what you ponder and think about when you are alone, that is what you most adore. I have listened to this talk about five or six times in the past couple of weeks.

And then this one on Meditation. Keller says meditation is the key to deeper prayer, and the gateway that ought to fall between Bible reading and praying. It may sound mystical, but really it's very straight forward and useful. It's helping me to look in the mirror and not forget what I've seen five minutes later.

I'd be very interested to hear what you think.

7 comments:

onlinesoph said...

I love Tim Keller's preaching. Will add them to my list of sermons to listen to.

onlinesoph said...

on the meditation thing, I've heard that too from our pastor. Very cool because that's exactly how I do my quiet times - it was nice to know it had a name and a legitimate purpose - always thought it was just a personality thing...

peter y said...

i'm a big fan of the Keller too - just finished reading counterfeit gods last night - great read. glad to hear you'r benefiting too.

good news about poppy hey!?

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yeah, it is a cool idea Soph. In the talk he interestingly says that Psalm 1 is the only Psalm thats not a prayer, but is instead about the wisdom of meditating. So it's like the gateway to all the rest of the prayers in Palms. Cool.

Peter, yeah awesome news! Ivy will have a little playmate. I'd be interested in reading some of Kellers' stuff. His talks are pretty clear and concise so I'd imagine his writing would be too.

peter y said...

highly recommend it - Prodigal God is one of the best books i've ever read (and it's a short and easy read). really helped me to grow in my relationship with God.

Ali said...

Hey Ben,
I've been meaning to get back to some podcasting and visit this site, and now work has slowed so I gave it a shot while I did some stuff today and ended up listening to "Adoration" about two and a half times ... and I want to listen again as well. Great stuff!
Thanks,
Ali

Ben McLaughlin said...

Great, I'm pleased you liked it Ali. I keep re-listening to it, always getting more out of it.