Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Reading Resolution

I like a good New Years Resolution. In the past few years I have made some that I've actually carried through with, so I figure they're worth attempting.

One of mine for Twennyten is to read. Lots. A disappointment for me last year was that due to busyness and apathy, books just fell by the wayside, and I really only finished a couple. This year I want to crank through them. And become very learn-ed.

Sadly, 2009 Ben has left 2010 Ben with a bit of a mess to clean up first. He started about seventeen books, made it about a quarter of the way through each of them, and so now this years' me feels frustratingly obligated to finish everything he started, but doesn't know how to prioritise this clean-up operation. He is also foolishly continuing to start more books.

In other news, 2010 Ben is also finding it a joy to speak of himself in the third person. He advises you try it.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Third person is great fun...

But as someone who reads about 3 books at a time, and has about 50 she's started, I reckon if you don't want to finish them, then don't, because making yourself read something is a chore and that isn't going to help the goal of reading more.

Ben McLaughlin said...

I do agree, but my main problem are books that people have lent me. I feel obligated to finish even if the book isn't grabbing me.

I don't have the guts to say, 'well actually your book kinda sucks, and I don't know why you reccommended it.'

Anonymous said...

Be a man and make a call. It doesn't have to suck, just say 'I tried, but it didn't grab me'. A spade a spade.

Drew

Ben McLaughlin said...

Ouch- A challenge to my manhood.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying.

Beth said...

I agree....if the book isn't grabbing you and making you want to ignore everything else around you in order to read it...chuck it across the room...just think, the next great one could be waiting while you're painstakingly trying to finish the boring one. If it's from a friend who's a reader...they would understand. I never go back to a book more than once.

Ben McLaughlin said...

That's a good rule, Beth. I'm always going back to books going 'so who's that guy again?'

Laetitia :-) said...

We've just moved. There are a number of books still on our shelves because I haven't finished reading them yet. By half-way through that sort, Ian didn't have to ask - he just looked at my face and knew what my answer was to the keep/donate question for any particular book.

I agree with Beth's crterion but I wouldn't recommend a literal chucking across the room, especially if it's one you've been lent. :-)