Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

There's A Lot Of Strange People About

As I've said before, I seem to be a magnet for random strangers in the street who feel like a bit of a heart to heart. It must be my small, nonthreatening, hobbit-like appearance.

Yesterday I went for a wander, and stopped at a little art gallery to peer through the window. There were a few people standing nearby, and a normal-looking woman in her 30's stepped over towards me, and struck up a conversation.

Here's a transcript, recalled to the best of my ability:

"Which painting's your favourite?"
"Uh.... That one, I think."
"That one looks like Paris, don't you think? I've never been to Paris. I haven't really travelled much. I finished school in year nine. But I've done eleven courses, can you believe that?"
"Wow, that's a lot."
"Yes it is. I've written twenty four books. Pretty unbelievable, isn't it?"
"Yes, very unbelievable."
"Pardon?"
"Yeah, that's amazing."
"I've been in four musicals. In the chorus line."
"Oh yeah?"
"All I do is sing and dance and write and act. You've got to have your gifts and talents".
"Yeah".
"It's pretty amazing isn't it?"
"Very amazing".
"You should hear my mother though. She says I won't even be able to get a job in a supermarket, they'll give the job to a school kid instead. Can you believe that? That's really cruel. Can you believe that?"
"No, that's pretty slack".
"It's very slack".
"Oh well, I better get going.."
"You have to be careful who you talk to around here, don't you? There's a lot of strange people about."
"Oh yeah, there sure is. Okay, bye then."
"Bye. Nice to meet you. Don't worry, you'll be right. You'll do well, mate."

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

you're short?

Ben McLaughlin said...

I prefer 'Napoleonesque'