Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Monday, June 7, 2010

Blackout

There was a blackout this morning when I got up to get ready for work. It's nasty enough getting up at 5am, let alone doing it all in the dark.

I showered, dressed and had a coffee, all in darkness. I was too tired and lazy to look for a candle.

Still, I was impressed with my own industriousness. As one of my senses was rendered useless, the others kicked in. Heightened smell. Super-hearing. I could gauge the spaces in front of me, like a bat with sonar, my skin becoming sensitive to the slightest vibration.

My arm hairs prickled as a breeze, many miles down the coast swept in with the sea. I knew by instinct that it was a south easterly. And all this through a closed window.

Actually, it was less like this, and a lot more like me stumbling into walls, stepping on sharp toys and pouring coffee on the bench. And I thought I'd done a reasonable job doing my hair in the dark, but when I got to work I found that I kind of looked like Amy Winehouse.

2 comments:

Beth said...

i'm actually pretty good at moving around my house in the dark...the worst is when i don't open the bedroom door far enough if i happen to get up...then when i go back into the bedroom, usually end up walking into the door. but you had me laughing with the description of your hair....

Clarence said...

LOL... next time take a photo on your phone and post it.