Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Friday, June 25, 2010

Case Study: The Fictional Hairline

Something that makes me equally cross and squeamish when I'm out and about amongst the general populous, is when I see guys trying to pull off a fictional hairline. I hate the fictional hairline very, very much, Dear Reader. With passion and gusto.

Don't know what one is? Please consider--

So basically, what's going on here, is that this guy has gone, 'hey, I think I should completely disregard the rules of nature, and shave away my natural hairline, to create a new, sculptured one, pretty much to just be a bit more awesome.'

I trace the origins of The Fictional Hairline back to the mid 90's, which was where I first encountered it in a hip hop magazine. African American guys who had had a bit of extra time up their sleeve. But then a few years back it jumped cultures, and white guys started doing it. And let's face it, it looked a whole lot less cool. But a whole lot more tool.

So what's to be done about this problem? Any one's guess. We can only hope that these fellas will wake from the stupor that they are in, and humbly realise the error of their ways. A black permanent marker could help in the short-term.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Girls have been doing fictional eyebrows for a long time. The guys are just playing catch-up!