Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Foot Itch

Every Tom, Dick and Harry's changing their blog template, and this makes my feet itchy. Izaac's done it, Simone's done it, and others too.

I think about changing mine from time to time, and got really close a couple weeks back. It's one of those things, where right from the start of my blog I made the decision to basically keep it looking the same.

I like the idea of familiarity, that every time you return to something, you know what you're going to get. Change makes me nervous and unsettled, and as a reader, I like blogs and websites which remain constant and reliable. A dumb thing to care about? Probably.

Still, this commitment has left me often times feeling bored with my blog. It's like never ever moving your loungeroom furniture around. Never getting to experience having the arm chair under the window for a change.

The same dark blue with lots of silly dots everywhere (no offence blog template making people, you totally rock like nobodies business), and the same hokey header and picture. Maybe I should just have a crazy week of having a different template every day, just to get it out of my system.

So tell me. Is consistency and familiarity important to you as a reader?

7 comments:

Alistair Bain said...

Is consistency and familiarity important to you as a reader?

yes. don't change it.

Anonymous said...

i haven't changed brother. stay my friend.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Thanks fellas.

Al, why the name change? Do I need to start calling you by your full name?

Alistair Bain said...

No need to do that.

Al fits just fine.

Izaac said...

I think it depends if the redesign is an improvement on the past. Part of my reason for changing was to be more unique as every Tom, Dick and Simone had the same blog design as me.

Consistency and familiarity is important, but that doesn't mean freshness is unimportant. Its more important to change rarely rather than change never.

Gary Ware said...

Hard to tell from Google Reader.

Simone R. said...

I can handle a change once a year or so. Trouble is, there are so many options now (though most are unthinkable). I think you should design your own from scratch.