Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Day Love Came To Town


After asking that question yesterday about getting the cane, I was thinking back to the two times in primary school when I got it. I remembered one of the times pretty clearly (mainly because I remember crying a lot before I got it, trying to get out of it). I had been running at a demountable building sitting on bricks, trying to knock it over.

But I was struggling to remember the second time I got it, until it just came back to me this morning. Let me paint the picture.

I am in in year 5 or 6. It is the afternoon, and my teacher says he needs to pop out for a bit. He advises us to work quietly while he's gone. As soon as he leaves, maybe two people work quietly while the rest of the class decide against this sound advice.

The other kids have their fun for a bit, and then simmer down and get back to work, in time to be rediscovered 'quietly working'.

I however, am not quite so smart or self controlled, and when the teacher comes back, I am not really in the best possible position. I am standing on top of my desk, bellowing out "When Love Comes To Town" by U2 and BB King, with accompanying rockstar pose and air guitar.

In a better world, such a sound performance would have earned me applause, but this was not to be. Instead it earned me two thin red lines running horizontally across the backs of my thighs.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

I snort-laughed out loud in a lecture this morning when I read that.