Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

On Having An Atheist PM


Last night E and I watched Julia Gillard answer a bunch of questions last night on Q&A. I thought it was a good show, with some good questions, and also thought Gillard did a good job of answering them.

You know, it kind of grates on me, all the hoo hah about her being an atheist. I was trying to work out why there has been such a big deal made about it, and I think I've got it- It's because 'the general public' find any extreme very distasteful.

So long as you're in the murky, fence-sitting, non-specific, non-committed,middle ground, you'll be okay. You'll go under the radar because you don't rustle any feathers.

Just appear 'tolerant' and 'respectful', and maybe drop in the word 'spiritual' or 'prayer' very occasionally, and you will go well.

But if you have a conviction, either saying there is one God, or on the other hand that there is no God, then you will get into hot water. That's what unsettles people, having a clearly defined belief that you are convicted and vocal about.

So, call me crazy, but I for one would prefer a prime minister who is definitely atheist, than one who is indefinitely nothing in particular.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

Agree. 100%.

Ben McLaughlin said...

I just saw your post with the Peter Jensen interview. He says some really good stuff about it.

Pedro said...

I thought she handled herself really well too mate. I agree completely with your sentiment. God forbid, we have someone isn't afraid to stand up for what they believe....

Anonymous said...

Why, of all the questioners last night, was the one who demonstated complete ignorance about its subject the one asking a Christian question?
How could anyone motivated to get in a studio audience, be vetted as a representative person, come prepared with a question and be one of the few called upon to ask it not already know that in Australia politicians don't have to take their oath of office on the Bible?
The assistants who sorted all this out must have known. Why call on that person? It was just a dumb waste of time. Which I think is how they view Christianity anyway.
Hmmm, think I'll cross post this rant later on my own blog.

Traxy said...

Fancy a presidential candidate in the US saying they were Atheist. That would be political suicide. Then again, they do seem to have some rather odd notions about Atheism in that country. o.O