Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Getting People To Comment On Your Blog, or Hand Feeding Baby Deer In Their Natural Habitat

Blog comments. We say we don't care about them, but we do. We love them. We long for them. But all too often we go about it all wrong.

Getting people to comment on your blog is like hand feeding a baby deer in their natural habitat. It can be done, but it requires patience and discipline. Blog readers are a flighty bunch, inclined to bolt at the first sign of threat. I know I am.

You want the deer to eat the grain in your hand. You like the deer, and you know you have something nice to offer the deer. But you must bide your time. You can't just be all like 'DEEEEER! COME HERE AND EAT THIS GRAIN!!'. They'll be halfway to the other side of the valley by your first exclamation point.

In blog terms, the equivalent is comment-neediness. Being comment-needy is par for the course, but you need to disguise it. You don't want to look like you need it too much. Now listen close as I drop some science:

The blog reader will not give you what they think you need too much, except as a one-off token pity gesture. This makes sense. They just want to kill a bit of time on the computer while they wait for the kettle to boil, they don't want the responsibility of making or breaking your happiness.

If you come across as sulky when you don't get comments ('no one commented on my last post, so I won't post again until 2014') or if you mention it a lot in posts ('why aren't you commenting, is it because you hate me? You think I'm ugly don't you, is anybody there? Speak! Love me, love meeee!')then the proverbial baby deer will break eye contact, start whistling casually, and walk slowly backwards in to the undergrowth, never to be seen again.

You need to play it cool. Don't be an intruder in the forest. Be the forest. Just chill, sit down on a cushion of pine needles, get out some grain, then stretch out and wait.

Soon there will be deer. If you build it, they will come. But when you see one, keep your poker face. Don't jump up and down and run to greet them, saying 'Oh it means the world to me that you're here, look I have grain! So much grain, and it's all for YOU. Yes you, special Y.O.U.'

Just be all like, 'Oh yeah, I see you there, that's cool, whatever.' And then just turn away, and look at some tree or something. They've scoped the grain in your palm, but you must stay nonchalant. This lack of neediness will disarm and attract them. They will approach with caution.

Now they are beside you, tasting some of your awesome grain. This is when temptation will again be very strong. You'll just want to wrap your arms around their neck to give them a tender Bambi cuddle. Fight the urge. Be cool, or be alone again. Show you are pleased that they are there, (respond warmly to comments) but don't pounce.

Just let them graze without pressure or expectation. Before long you'll be patting their warm little faces as they nuzzle you playfully. And then shortly after that you'll be prancing across sun-drenched prairies together. This is blog friendship confirmed. This is what we all should aspire to.

So, absorb this case study. Soak it in, and let it do its magic. Savour the grain.

Make a comment if you like, but whatever, I'm just going to be over there by the fire toasting some marshmallows and reading Walden.

Comment, or don't comment, whatever.

21 comments:

Amy said...

I'm feeling this is all a reverse-psychology style thing to get comments... :P

Unknown said...

Reminds of the passage from Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy, where Ford Prefect could project an aura of peace and harmony that would attract a wild deer.....so that he could break its neck at eat it :-)

Be careful readers - it could be a trap!

Tom

PS. Should that be Walden?

Nathan said...

Really, all you need to do to get people commenting is run a weekly quiz.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Amy- frankly I'm hurt and shocked by the insinuations and accusations.

Tom- If you mean a trap where by you get lots of free grain and can curl up by a warm fire and eat the odd marshmallow that slides of my stick onto the dirt, well sure, you can call it that if you like.

Nathan- To the untrained eye perhaps.

Ben McLaughlin said...

PS- how good is that picture of Arnie feeding a deer?

Gary Ware said...

Ahh, Commando.
Let off some steeeam.

Kutz said...

Wow! I love your picture of Arnie feeding a deer!

Craig Schwarze said...

Or you could just send Arnie after them...

Simone R. said...

Ben, you're the master.

(But I reckon I beat you last week.)

Beth said...

I totally agree with the quiz. And i'd like some marshmallows too please!!

Gary Ware said...

In the spirit of value adding, instead of Arnie, this post reminded me of Wolverine instead.

Catherine said...

Big grin. If I was one to lol, I would. Really enjoyable post. Thanks Ben.

soph said...

Funniest thing I've read in ages and worthy of a comment.

I reckon if google reader/blogs had a comment function like facebook where you can "like" something or comment without clicking, people would respond more.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Gary- Cool Wolverine post!

Kutz- I know. I want it on a t-shirt

Craig- But I kind of want my commenters alive..

Simone- Oh yeah, you totally killed it last week! You had a frenzied deer stampede going on there

Beth- I was pleased that people liked the quiz, it was kind of unexpected

Cathy- Thanks for the kind words, and for dropping by:)

Soph- There is a 'like' thing. Simone has one of those. I have considered it, but it feels like the deer is just showing their face and then bolting, rather than sidling up to the campfire.

KIM said...

um, so this is one of those awkward questions -- did i create that link to my blogpost here?? i'm hoping you did, but i've been on borrowed computers doing slightly quirky things the last few days (at the beach myself now!) and am a bit afraid i inadvertently added it in ...?? sorry ...??

Ben McLaughlin said...

To be honest, Kim, I don't really know what you're talking about..

KIM said...

"links to this post" at the bottom?? nevermind!

Ben McLaughlin said...

oh yeah, I see it now.. you know, I've never seen or noticed that tool used before now!

Steve said...

Hmmm...Feeding a baby deer and creating a blog are not really the same thing now, are they, Benjamin?

In one scenario- you're sitting at a computer typing stuff- or dictating to someone else to type stuff, adding pictures of buff Austrians, trying to be witty or socially scathing about one thing or t'other as you sip coffee in your undies.... whatever-

AND

in the other scenario you're trying to feed a baby deer...

I don't get your point?!

who's Waldo?

Ben McLaughlin said...

Some deers just don't get it. That's deers all over. Just relax and eat the grain already.

Steve said...

*chuckle*-

hey... nice grain