Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Are You Down?


I like blogging, and the little blog community I've found myself in. But I often think the main thing that is missing in this community is Gang Rivalry.

Mainly we are all pretty nice to each other, and we all are like little friendly islands on a the Vast Blog Sea. I think we need to become more territorial.

For some reason, we seem to consist heavily of New South Welshmen, and Queenslanders. And the rest seem to have some affiliation with either. So this is why we should form gangs. We need gang colours, tough gang names and we need to be able to throw up some cool gang signs if the mood takes us.

I know what your thinking. Tsk tsk, what a nasty idea, he mustn't have anything to blog about today so he's just come up with this dumb idea to cause trouble. Perhaps true to an extent, but at least give me a chance.

It doesn't have to be violent (necessarily). It could be more like dance-fighting. Sort of like a blog West Side Story. Can you not see how cool this would be? We'd be battlin' and trying to out post each other. Whenever there'd be a tussle, you'd know your gang had your back.

Anyway, I sense that your not feeling me. And that's okay. Often when someone is so far ahead of their time, and they drop some science, it takes a while for the groundbreaking idea to take hold. But just let this seed germinate, and when you are ready, I'll be here waiting to initiate you and give you your sweet bandana.

So, who's in which gang? I'm South. We need a cool name..

21 comments:

Pedro said...

I'm 'Eastern Blog'
hehe....
Dirty Matto Klan.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yes, but you are really North Of The Border, surely..

Don't be trying to infiltrate..

Who are you trying to get crazy with?

goldy said...

I'm in the Queensland gang. Displaced of course. We already know we are superior. No outposting necessary.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Oh.

So it's going to be like that.

Nathan said...

But which am I? I'm blue at heart, but my first blogging happened in Queensland.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Well, I guess Nath that it's time for you to pick a team. You can't be sitting up on that fence, because I'll shake you off with my heavily tattood arm, and challenge you to a dance fight.

Really, it comes to what you see yourself in your heart of hearts.

What's it going to be?

Steve said...

I'm confused- I started out as a Roach conscript from Old Blighty at the age of three until 12- thence migrated north to become Toad for a time until shifting back south of the line from 21 onwards.

I guess that makes me a 'Cocktoad' ?!

No idea... maybe a double agent-

Anyhoo- Mr McL- Ain't you an Eylandter? As such you should have little business in matters of north and south agitation and conflagration.

Ben McLaughlin said...

As I said. Heart of hearts.

You'd question my loyalties, would you? I was born in Penrufff and moved to My Island Home at 18 months.

Steve said...

Please accept my humblest of apologies, mountain man.

KIM said...

Huzzah!! A little West Side encouragement: (read in as nasal of a New York accent as possible ...)

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day.

When you're a Jet,
If the spit hits the fan,
You got brothers around,
You're a family man!

You're never alone,
You're never disconnected!
You're home with your own:
When company's expected,
You're well protected!

Then you are set
With a capital J,
Which you'll never forget
Till they cart you away.
When you're a Jet,
You stay a Jet!

When you're a Jet,
You're the top cat in town,
You're the gold medal kid
With the heavyweight crown!

When you're a Jet,
You're the swingin'est thing:
Little boy, you're a man;
Little man, you're a king!

The Jets are in gear,
Our cylinders are clickin'!
The Sharks'll steer clear
'Cause ev'ry Puerto Rican's a lousy chicken!

Here come the Jets
Like a bat out of hell.
Someone gets in our way,
Someone don't feel so well!

Here come the Jets:
Little world, step aside!
Better go underground,
Better run, better hide!

We're drawin' the line,
So keep your noses hidden!
We're hangin' a sign,
Says "Visitors forbidden"
And we ain't kiddin'!

Here come the Jets,
Yeah! And we're gonna beat
Ev'ry last buggin' gang
On the whole buggin' street!
On the whole!
Ever!
Mother!
Lovin'!
Street!
Yeah!

KIM said...

But, more, importantly -- I surely must be going North ... or possibly the Yankee invasion if there's any others. I think a gang of one is a bit of an oxymoron ... but these days my heart is pretty securely found in the North ...

KIM said...

Quick brainstorm of Northside name ideas ... what are others??

YUP in Arms (aka the Yuppies)
The 144s
Manly or Not, Here We Come
The Nosebleeds (going into higher turf ...)
The iGang
Da Spit
Our Home -- Go Away!
Palm Beasts

Ben McLaughlin said...

Nice names Kim- though I think you've misunderstood that you are actually a Southie.. North is Queensland, South is NSW..

Nice lyrics-- gotta love when 'buggin' is used as a bad cuss.

KIM said...

ooohhh ... i was thinking north/south of the harbour!! awww ... i'm still kind of fond of palm beasts, whaddaya think?? not sure it's exactly gang-like enough ...

Simone R. said...

I'm north. Off to a meeting now. If I'm bored I'll write us a theme song. I think we need a flag too.

Karen said...

I live on the border. But definitely north at heart.

Ben McLaughlin said...

I don't know Kim.. I associate Palms with QLD more than NSW..

Simone,yes flags and theme songs!

Karen, okay, I will count you as a rival

Jessica said...

Killer Wales? It's a pun. (sorry, I'm a compulsive joke explainer)

Joanna said...

Though I was born up North, I think I'm a natural Melbournite (true South!) because my response to this is to call for some kind of compromise... before it all ends with the death of a couple of doomed lovers? Can't we all work together! [if you know anything about Melbourne Anglicanism, this is why I think this must be my spiritual home].

Ben McLaughlin said...

Jess- I like Killer Wales. Suitably tough. But thanks for explaining the joke, otherwise I'm not sure what I would have done.

Joanna- There's always one. You're like the knowing narrator who has the last word in the Tragic Story. No, we cannot work it out. There must be warfare.

KIM said...

killer wales!