Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Book Review Wednesday by Belle

Stuff White People Like
By Christian Lander

Review by
Belle

This book was certainly nothing like I expected when I casually picked it up at the library last week! According to the blurb, this is a book that “investigates, explains and offers advice for finding social success with the Caucasian persuasion”, and it covers topics such as tea, music festivals, acoustic covers, vintage and t-shirts. It’s quite funny, although it didn’t take too long for the truth to begin to sink in: “This is me! I’m so predictable! I’m so pretentious!” That was the point at which I stopped chuckling and started freaking out.

If you’re not inclined to think too deeply about your books, this one will provide a lot of light entertainment and the bite-sized chapters make it an easy read. There are also enough American references in there to reassure an Australian reader that they can’t be that “white”. If, however, you like mulling as you read, this book could be the catalyst for a full-blown identity crisis (aaaargh, I’m a social construct!) – proceed with caution.

Either way, it’s worth a look.

Thanks for the review, Belle! Go and have a look at
Belle's Elbows, it's a good read.

1 comment:

KIM said...

I've read bits and pieces (I think there's a blog too?) and it is hysterical.

What's also hysterical is http://www.stuffwhitechristianslike.com/ -- Stuff White Christians Like (a take-off of this book).