Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Super 8

E's Mum came over the other night so the two of us could go to the movies. It was great, it's been a while.

We saw the movie Super 8. To be honest, I think I'd have liked whatever we saw- I was just happy to be at the movies full stop. But it was a fun movie, and we both really enjoyed it.

It is very much a homage to those early 80's Spielberg movies like ET and 'a group of kids come of age' movies like Stand By Me. It's basically a sci fi Stand By Me really, but it works well. The group of kids really make the movie, and particularly the main boy Joel Courtney and the girl, Elle Fanning. She's really good, following in her sister Dakota's footsteps.

JJ Abrams of Lost and Cloverfield fame is at the helm, and Spielberg I think is producer, and it really feels like their kind of movie. It's a fun ride, and ha a lot of likable stuff in it. It certainly isn't perfect, and there's some pretty CG heavy aspects to it, which turns me off a little, but at the heart of it is a strong set of main characters that have been set up well to start with, so I was more than happy to go along with the ride.

3.5/5

3 comments:

Pedro said...

I loved it.

Diane said...

I'd love to know what CG means - then I can assess if is a movie I, or my kids, might like.
:D

Ben McLaughlin said...

Thanks for stopping by, Diane. It stands for computer generated.