Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Perils of the Subheading

You want to be impartial about different parts of the Bible, and try to read both the Old and New Testaments, keeping an eye on the big picture of God's plan.

But I find that those little subheadings that some fella whacked in, only serve to make me want to read some bits more than others. Please consider:

Subheading A: 1Samuel 28- "Saul and the Witch of Endor"

Subheading B: Leviticus 13:47- "Regulations About Mildew"

Now, come on. No one is going to want to read about mould, so you need to fancy the title up a bit. On the other hand, you immediately want to read about the Witch of Endor, because-

a) Witches, although wrong, sound kind of awesome
b) Endor, as you would know is the forest moon on which the Ewoks lived in Return of the Jedi.

So if you are a visual person, and you read these headings, you immediately picture what is to come, and call me crazy, but if I picture this:


or this:

I know which one I'm going to read.

9 comments:

RodeoClown said...

But... is Endor the moon itself, or do the ewok's live on Endor's moon?

Hmmm.

You should write a comic mash-up of Ewok adventures with the Wizard of Oz.

That would be awesome.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Dunno. It's called 'The Forest Moon of Endor'. So it's a moon with trees.

Ben McLaughlin said...

i hate to fish, but I really think i deserve some props for my badass witch/ewok picture.

yr a tough crowd, you know that?

RodeoClown said...

Sorry for not making the mad props obvious Ben, I'd assumed you took my mash-up suggestion as containing implicit admiration for your effort.

Bravo!

RodeoClown said...

I guess, you know what they say about assumptions...

I guess this makes a baddass out of You and Umptions!

Ben McLaughlin said...

Umptions has always been pretty badass.

How good is the term 'badass'? Does it make it not a swear because it's ass and not the other spelling?

but thanks for the props. Fished or not, I feel better now.

Anonymous said...

This is probably the best thing in the world. That is a big call seeing as the second best thing in the world is relationship advice from barbarians. I have benefited greatly.
M.

Ben said...

Because we're "in" Australia, Ben, I think 'badass' is fine.

You may continue.

And great work, btw.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Thanks M.

ps- Are you M, the mysterious character of the James Bond movies? I'm assuming that you probably are.

thanks Ben, for the liscence to swear. I will seek to use the liscence to it's fullest from here on in.