Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Deceased Estate

Remember a few weeks back I found that skip of old books?

At the time I speculated why on earth anyone would want to just throw their entire collection on a rubbish heap. They were mostly Christian books, and I wondered if maybe the person had lost their faith and gone 'bah! To the tip with you all!'

But this morning as I walked past the same house, the dumpster long gone, there was a sign up, advertising an auction, and it said that the place was a 'deceased estate'.

I got a bit melancholy then, thinking about this person, who had gotten a lot of knowledge and pleasure from these books, only for them to all just be unceremoniously dumped as landfill after the person died.

I am very glad that I took two of these books from the dumpster at the time, so that there is at least a bit of legacy there, and that it all didn't just go to waste.

No comments: