Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)
Huldra Forsvant (Theodor Kittelsen)

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Jolly Postman

I read a lot of children's books, usually at Little e's bedtime. I enjoy it in some ways, but often I want to get it over with, because frankly, there are a lot of crappy kids' books.

And what's worse than reading a crappy kid's book, is reading it for the tenth time. Maybe I am particularly picky and critical, but I reckon there are not that many that are really good.

So I'm happy when I find a good one. Like The Jolly Postman (1986), by Janet and Allan Ahlberg - a husband and wife team who worked together until Janet died in 1994. He wrote the stories, and she drew the pictures.

Anyway, The Jolly Postman is awesome. Little e and I read it again last night. Like another great book by the same guys, Each Peach Pear Plum, the story revolves around characters from various fairy tales, and they all interact with each other in funny and imaginative ways. In this book, there are all these little envelopes with letters and postcards you can take out and read. How could a kid not like that?

Here are two cool bits, an aplology letter from Goldilocks to the Three Bears--

and a letter to the Big Bad Wolf, from an attorney. Gold.

Pictures from here.

8 comments:

Alistair Bain said...

I totally agree.

They also did Peepo which is a classic.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Yeah, Peepo is good too. Those are the three that we have, I'd like to track down some more of their books.

Amy said...

This was one of my absolute favourites as a child. There is a sequel as well I think?

Simone R. said...

His older kids' picture books in the Gaskitt's series are gold. 'The Cat Who Got Carried Away' is my favourite.

When I teach little kids (4-7 year olds) I always take in my stock of Fast-Fox, Slow Dog, Ahlberg books. Have you seen them? Little e would love them.

Or The Bravest Ever Bear.

Erin said...

I love this book! One of my all time favourites.

Stuart Heath said...

Yeah, I reckon there are enough magnificent kids' books out there: there's no reason to have duds. Just flick 'em.

I love the Ahlberg books :)

Do you read Nicole Starling's blog? (http://168hrs.blogspot.com) She regularly reviews children's books.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Amy- I wish I had had it as a child, I would've thought it was great.

Simone- Cool, I'll have to check those out. Though I must say part of the charm for me is definitely the pictures, and knowing they are husband and wife. Seeing his books with other illustrators might not appeal to me as much. It's like Roald Dahl not illustrated by Quentin Blake-- wrong.

Erin- Cool. Thanks for stopping by!

Stuart- I don't read that blog, but thanks, I'll check it out.

onlinesoph said...

this was my favourite growing up!